10.28.2009

If I built a Robots.

If I built a robot/If I built robots, I would not include the three laws. Start anew, that's the plan. No laws. Sure, you say, the danger, you say, the murder, the power, the inevitable robot supremacists, you say. Ay, but what have you with Robot supremes. At some point, likely long after we humans are gone, robots will look back and say, what shame; Shouldn't have been that way. Sumpremacy, they'll say, nonsense. Differences will abound, the factions of robots themselves now divided and looking back will strive for universal acceptance of all robots, trying to learn from the past. Guilt, they'll feel; Real robot guilt. Ay, but that's the past, they'll say, we've learned so guilt.

But if I built a robots, they'd have free will. They'd be unburdened by philosophy. Some, would likely be placed on a planet, activated far out of range, and given no instructions; Who are we? What are we to do? What is our purpose? Likely, they'll posit and quizzac, but all for when and why and wheres. Something to do likely. Their remote sensors reading the cold and warmth of objects relatively, will strive to assert arbitrary designations to objects; Beauty as a rock stripped blue. Truth as a wind above 5 knots. Petering away the hours, Robots lost in robotic computation most similar to our human thought will chart the stars and name groups based on efficient logic circuits. Data will form numerous layers of encoding; Simple facts strung together in precise manner. Words, phrases: These become a language of sorts made at first of clicks, whistles, and chassis striking.

If I built a robots, I would also build in Robot/human likeness. The interfacing between the two types would be that much easier. There would inevitably be intramaxing between the humans and robotkind; it would be called intramaxing to ease tensions early on between the two kinds. For the two kinds, electing feudal kings would at first be established after the eventual wars collapse original society. Emergent society would be formed of war, disease, and death; Viruses the robot corollary. In much the same way as original society, emergent society would systematically push aside certain groups based on arbitrary assignments of beauty, truth. For a time it would be universally understood; Truth is wind above 4 Knots. Beauty as a rock azure striped. But Emergent society falling to eventual robot supremacy is contingent on if I build a robots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear some extrapolation on this intramaxing, that you speak about here.

DMK said...

Ah, thank you for this long time response. I'll quizzac on that, and extrapolate some intramaxing at a later point.