And that concludes our interview: Is there anything else you'd like to add, or any questions you have about the position?
First of all, thank you for your time. Thank you for the time you took to not only respond to my application to this position, to even acknowledge it initially with an automatically generated email, and then to call me into an interview, and to the email I will inevitably get after this interview which informs me that, unfortunately we've filled the position, and that again, unfortunately, it was an extremely difficult decision, you've chosen someone else. Someone more qualified. Someone who seemed a little "safer," mostly only because they had that innate middle of the road, has already been teaching for 5 years and statistically people who can make it 5 years can make it forever factor, we've chosen him. And it is probably a him, because this is a high school position, and although female teachers can be great, we just feel that men are more reliable. Of course we know you're a man, but not the right sort. So thank you for your time.
That aside, I do have some questions. But first, I'd like to say a few things. I know you have some great candidates here. The field is competitive, which to me seems terrible. Education isn't competition. Oops. It probably is. Anyway, it's not when I do it. I hope not. I try my best.
I know I'm young. But now that I've been out of teaching school for close to two years, and definitely two years since I've been in a classroom, as a teacher, I know you've got questions. Can he still do it? But, to be fair, I bet 2 years ago your questions would have been along the lines of, can he do it? He seems so young. Well, I'm not that young anymore, and if you read my references, you'll see I actually did it pretty damn well. Actually, I think I did it better than most people. As my references say, I did it better than most people. Did I mention that you should read my references. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it. I'm pretty sure you didn't read my references.
You know, I've always been baffled by people who make judgements upon meeting people, and I've also read about how statistically, psychologically, interviewers typically make the wrong choice. And no, I can't back this up with anything, because I read and internalize everything. It's out there in the ether, please, trust me. The point here is that not only do I hope you won't make the wrong choice, I know you will.
So, what I wanted to say, and no I don't have any questions is that, the implications of not just this interview and subsequent rejections to this position is unfortunately one more step to me never being a teacher. A paid teacher. But luckily, alongside my English Major, my Masters of Education, my teaching credential, I learned to be a person. Well, really I always was. I learned a lot of things. I learned how to learn. I pursued my hobbies. And I feel like I've become pretty well rounded, and by become I mean always was. Everyone is a whole person.
If teaching doesn't work out, like it won't I have other interests. I could explain them, but I'll withhold, I really am disappointed. I'm sorry, if you'd like to pursue this conversation you'll have to find me outside the realm of education. I'll be turning my back, with a bit of anger and frustration. Hopefully I'll turn that into something positive for my community. I am not optimistic about my future in education, but I am hopeful. If you find that either soon, or in the distant future you have a need for me in this field, I may be available.
Please, be aware that I cannot wait indefinitely. In twenty years I might be a successful something or other. Again, because of my resentment, I really have chosen to withhold my interests. While, I won't push aside my frustrations, I hope you can understand how disappointing it can be to be trained for something, to love something, and to be ignored.
I'm disappointed. At this point, I'd like to ask that you at least acknowledge a new letterwriting form. Epistles, missives. The disappointment genre. The letter of disappointment. Please, do not confuse this with a letter of resignation from education. My abilities, my commitment, my willingness to participate; these have not diminished. I am disappointed. This is a letter to outline some basic reasons for that sentiment.
Thank you for your time.
-D M Kline.
9.20.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What is this a cover letter for?
PS I'd hire you
Post a Comment