11.02.2009

A Sound of Crushing Defeet.

Well I like the sound of leaves being crushed and shuffle stomped.

*Edit; 5:45 begins on November 2nd, 2009.

The minimism of this post declared itself bankrupt, and more was to be added. A bailout, as it were, too big to fail. So I've decided to talk about pain, just a little: The corporeal. What I'd like to focus on here is my own pain at various and continuing time. As a healthy young man, my pain falls under the typical, but I question; Is typical really not worth mentioning? Are our personal aches and pains not excusable due to their prevalence? I would say no.

My first and most notable daily pain is my right knee. It doesn't hurt right now, I'm sitting on a stool. The first time this pain brought itself to the forefront was about 3 years ago when I woke up to impossible tendinitis. Impossible in that there was little suggestion the day before; It wasn't until I tried to get out of bed that I realized something was wrong. Like the man I am, and like the uninsured person I am, I went through no treatment for this ailment, aside from a few ibuprofen. Even these were taken with trepidation. This was accompanied by a month of limping and general weakness. The typical treatment for tendinitis is rest. Rest is hard to come by for a knee, and for an avid bicycle commuter. My treatment was more stress. This pain is reoccurring, but yet to be as severe again.

Smaller pains rack my body. A list could follow: My wrists, my neck, my jaw, my nose, my back, my shoulders.

The other noticeable pain recently has been a year old, recently re-injured left shin. In California, in an inattentive moment I stuck a piece of road debris, an exhaust heat shield. The resulting collision of clip-less pedals, tires and shin did not give way to a hard strike and bruise. Instead, my secured foot made sure that the metal struck my shin with maximum force causing both a bone bruise and a deep laceration for which I likely should have seeked medical attention. Nearly a year after this collision, a slip and fall off my pedals resulted in another strike on the scar, another smaller wound and more bruising. My shin muscle feels strange as a result.

Another bicycle accident about 4 years ago in which I struck a car, flew through the air while doing a back flip over the car, and landed on the ground has caused unknown amounts of twisted up tension in my muscles.

Falling on my face in a high school cross-country race has rendered my septum crooked, and ache prone fluctuating weather. My neck makes some pleasing clicks now.

These aren't complaints though, but a way of venting, listing and remembering. There are more pretty entertaining and relevant injuries, but living with the results of these listed traumas is semi-present in most of my actions.

No comments: