1.25.2010

Rather 5

Wearing a Belt, Tie and Button-Down Shirt of my own Volition

So while this isn't about complaining, this sequence of Rathers, it is about what I'd prefer to do. Lately, it's been necessary to wear "professional" clothes, which may seem to fall in line with the topic of conversation here -Wrong.

What I'd Rather be doing is wearing a belt, tie and button-down shirt only and only when it's my own decision. To differentiate, days in which I'm not so spiffed up would like include an untucked button-down shirt more ostentatious than the professional wear, and certainly no belt; possibly suspenders. But it's the choice to wear these nice clothes to the grocery store, the cafe that makes it a more powerful and fufilling move. Societal conventions turn this costume into a uniform, and uniforms are no fun.

The reason we change words is to provide deeper meaning for a separate purpose. A costume equals fun. A uniform equals no-fun. Clothes are a neutral. It's like calling a book a text-book; The text signals to us that it's boring, otherwise it would just be a book.

No comments: