5.18.2010

How Do You Spell 'Hate?'

So, how do you spell 'hate?'

I'll give you a hint. It's easy. It starts with an 'h.' It ends with an 'e.'


It has eleven letters.


Give-up?

H

O

R

S

E

P

E

O

P

L

E.

Which brings me to the real point:

When I was, oh let's say 8, my sisters and I got coffee mugs from a well intentioned uncle. There mugs had Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer on them. That's cool, I thought, so when I unwrapped my mug, I was furious to find the WWF stamp emblazoned across the exterior. Arguably, this is a way cooler mug. Actually, I love this mug now and was pretty bereaved when I chipped the lip a few years ago. But back in childhood flashback zone, I was pissed. I was a pissed little bratty kid who wanted a damn Rudolph mug, so I indignantly went upstairs to compose a hate letter to my uncle- So gracious. Except, being 8 my spelling and writing skills were pretty poor. I went to the top of the stairs in my house and yelled down to the living room, "How do you spell hate?" This phrase has cause a fair amount a ridicule in the last few decades, and deservedly so. They didn't tell me how to spell hate, and think there was probably some crying after that question.

Pure childhood frustration precipitates an angry letter,
Young boy found to act like old man.

That would make a fair newspaper title.

No comments: