6.22.2012

Letter of Disappointment 2

To all Uninterested Parties,

I am writing this letter to express my disappointment.  Some of you may have received my previous Letter of Disappointment,  and I appreciate your not reading it, a skill I'm sure you honed not reading my references, resume, previous work experience, degrees and licenses, and any other pertinent information contained on my curriculum vitae, a document and term I learned about at Graduate School, a place where I earned not only a MA of Education and $30,000 plus in debt, as well as a deep, brooding, not-affected disposition that often accompanies problematic situations, like my own. 

But, I want you to know that although I am very disappointed, I hope I am not disappointing.  Although this comes off as a sort of easy juxtaposition of similar terms, it's mostly florid so I avoid using those nasty and unpleasant terms, that I am disappointed I know.

Moving on with business, I'd like to outline a few disappointing aspects of our latest interactions.  Now, let's be clear:  Some of your have very difficult application processes, and some of you aren't hiring at all, and some of you are just untalented, middle of the road professionals who don't really make those deep changes needed to strengthen their skills, and improve the performance of their students.  This is addressed to all of you, but specifically those whose automated application processes don't even included automated rejections.  I'm disappointed that I'm excited to receive one of these auto-rejections. 

Ye gods man, it's almost as if a person interacted with me.  At least I know this one didn't just go out into the ether.  I want to thank you for the personal disappointment that an in personal interview and subsequent personal phone call means to a young professional.  This best of the worst situation, really cements a definite bell curve of anticipation, excitement, and dashed-hopes, or if you pardon my repetition, crushing disappointment. 

But, and this isn't about you, I haven't met most of you.  You'd know that if you consulted your files where you keep your resumes, a place I imagine that is only rivaled in scale by the fictional warehouse where the Ark of the Covenant resides in the last of the Indiana Jones films.  I'm really good at film, which I've actually developed some curriculum based around perspective and narrative; it's fairly adaptable and can really teach to the standards, show learning gains, and be extremely engaging especially when coupled with relevant history, cross-curricular teaching, and secondary sources, and I'm disappointed I'm not doing that right now.  Planning that lesson. 

I could tell you that I'm disappointed to be doing what I'm going to do tomorrow, to make a meager living, and be uninsured, but I'm actually disappointed that I'm not, that I'm grateful to have any sort of job.  I'm disappointed we won't have the opportunity to discuss this in person.

Professionally unfulfillingly yours,

D M K

No comments: