Finishing Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison, I would be the first to admit I have no formal understanding of the narrative. While my degree has prepared me for literary analysis, I still feel uncomfortable jumping to conclusions without some alternate source from which to begin.
However, I will share my thoughts toward one element of the conclusion, which I sure has deeper significance than I give it credit.
Interuptive Telephone Call...
But, here the point was really that I was intrigued by the "flying" of which Solomon is supposed to have done in returning to Africa, of which Milkman dreams and concludes the novel with, in a sense.
I feel that this sentiment, the innate understanding of flight and how it is achieved, may be commonly felt, "If you surrendered to the air, you could ride it" (Morrison, 337).
Not to put too much weight behind dreams and the like, I can share that I have long had the type of flight dreams in which the principal character of Song of Solomon recounts. He speaks of the flight in his dreams as effortless and relaxed. I can recall two distinct and recurring dreams of my own in which I can fly. In the earliest dream I float throughout my childhood home just inches above the ground at a brisk pace. My chest and stomach face the ground, my head looks forward, my arms are pulled back to my side. I am not concerned or upset, and there is an internal understanding on my part that what makes flying possible is something only children understand: that anything is possible. Of utmost importance to my dream is the assumption that children become adults they learn what makes this sort of flight impossible, and in so doing they lose the ability to fly.
The more recent flight dream is escaping me, as it is more recent and the recalling of dreams is always ephemeral.
3.04.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment