1.18.2010

Rather

I had an idea today involving something of little importance, blogs. Probably my 5th incarnation, The Sharp D. Kline shares some considerable similarities to the past excuses to indulge my writing urge. While goals and unifying themes have existed in a way which provides some cohesion, I've been debating starting a new Blog, titled Rather.

Below I have included what could serve as the first posting on a blog whose goal will be explicitly, to declare what I would rather be doing. I find that the motivation for most of my writing is an outlet for stress, or as a venue for sharing ideas for which I have a passion. Rather will be a positive source of activities with which I can steer my life, and hopefully share with reader-friends.


Rather:

Bicycle Riding

On most days you can assume that if you were to see me and I wasn't riding a bicycle, I would rather be riding a bicycle. Aside from a few points in my life where physical discomfort limited my riding possibility, bicycle riding has always been a source of freedom and exercise. As a 7th Grade student in rural Connecticut I rode my bicycle to school for almost an entire school year; what's more surprising is that it wasn't until recently that I remembered. Bicycles are like neckties, some people love them but forget what color they are wearing.

Today, in lieu of other choices, bicycle riding was the outlet for stress and the method of transportation. Had I ridden in the car to carry bags of groceries I would have no doubt been beset by frustration, anger and the radio. Instead my routine included a tour of the local waterways, which after a week of rain were full-up with riparian narrative.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

At first, I thought that the word "Rather" was a little off-putting, ripe with the possibility of regrets and complaints, which if I had to guess, is not necessarily your intent. After all, you're not actually the curmudgeonly old man we like to joke about.

That said, I like the direction of your trial post because it isn't simply an indignant remark about your situation, but rather, the way in which you changed your attitude through decision. I think that is definitely a lesson we could all learn, and certainly one worth writing about.