4.11.2010

Question

A mistake people make when judging others is that they allow their own value systems to take precedence over another value system. Take me for example, it's my forum after all. Severe haircuts, not a popular choice for older generations and consequently they lead to direct questioning; "Why did you do that to your hair?" Etc.

But to be fair, my own system allows not for suits, commuter culture, and acceptance of modern architecture. I will not abide the polished, the consequently dishonest, ephemera of contemporary life. For me it's community and bodily enjoyment. Sacrifice doesn't come from plugging away at an unhappy job for 30 years, it comes from sweating.

So when life becomes something I'm not into, I make a physical change. Not that I value Ayn Rand, she is problematic, but compromise and being complicit with things that don't sit well just seems like a poor way to start the foundation of a career. I cut my hair and at least that tells the world that I walk both paths, that I can do your job just as well and that I refuse to do it. Arguably though, this is a poor choice.

No comments: