5.13.2009

Ah, the Gretch. Oh, the Gretch. I love the Gretch.

That titulation, a veiled reference to Hair that counter-culture musical of yestermorrow, was poorly arrived at. It was a bad reference as well, if you're unfamiliar with the song "The Bed," it's the least of many much greater songs including "Age of Aquarius" and "Good Morning Starshine."

And so that brings us to our topic. The G-R-E-T-C-H.

It's a word, ein mot plus magnifaux. The explanation of the germanofranche is of course unnecessary. Spelling can be so trying.

The Gretch is of course, as far as I can tell, a word created new. It means the space between your index finger and your thumb. Specifically the space that is somewhat membranous, sometimes taut, and always webbed-like.

Even more specifically, the gretch is in reference to you. A word designed solely to describe the area between your thumb and forefinger. This is where gretch stands out among the dictionary. As far as my ludicrominous falsifactomator can tell, gretch as a second person referential noun is completely unique. Novel.

To bring this creation around I must share. Gretch is my novel. Not my novel book, but my novel word. "Why yes," I'll say to the huddled masses, "My novel has been published, but it's just not selling well."

Words these days, have lost their market value.
Pound for pound, they're going metric.

No comments: