6.03.2009

The Off; Weather

Since I was a child I have heard whispering of a weather sense. It's not so uncommon really. Bones ache, old injuries become apparent. Moon-dogs and the like, something my grandmother always talked about. For a bunch of secular thinkers, the penchant for superstition ran high; or pseudostition perhaps is a better term.

Along with no hats on the bed and enter and exit through the same door, I was enlightened somewhat to the world of moon-dogs and sense oriented weather prediction. To make these terms explicit would, I believe, be an injustice to their existence.

My skin has always crawled at the emergency weather alert beacon, partially due to the fact that it is designed to make your skin crawl and partially because I always know it's coming. The weather feels anxious. Is that a sort of synesthesia? The air feels yellow on days or nights when the sky is about to burst apart with lightening. It's electric blue right before hail falls. Ozone overwhelms the air right before a lightening strike, and after there is a sense of relief. Imposing my own anxiety towards storms, perhaps, but for me it feels the weather is imposing itself on me and not the other way around.

Weather can feel oppressive.

No comments: