6.16.2009

The Unprepared Lexican

A wordsmith, sounds too old fashioned. We'll update it together; A lexican, a founder of words in this new world.

Never thinking too far ahead is not a skill of mine. In fact, I think years in advance; What I don't do is detail, ever. Forgetting names, forgetting people, common practice. Having a definite plan, with not definite details, this is me.

While taking a test this past January, I entered knowing little of the format. It was a comprehensive Praxis II English exam, a subject matter test. How is it even possible to study for a comprehensive English literature test? Should I have reread everything from Edda to A Brief History of Time. P.S. Nothing of quality has been written since 1988, or so dictates a rule to which I ascribe that forces a hand of pretension every fifteen lines of writing.

The test was in a cold, cold room. That was the fault of the UCSC mircoclimate and the Januaryness of the date. Shivering and hungry, a test was filled out. My pretention and dislike for Jane Austen saved my life. Knowing my specific descriminations on Wuthering Heights and Pride and Predjudice was a godsend. How to dislike with a purpose; That should be the name of my next book.

And so not knowing anything about the test left me feeling like I did poorly. I did not. In fact I scored a few score above passing. A few score meaning probably in the nieghborhood of 60 points. Of course I don't recall the exact number of points, or the signifance of how many points would be meaningful to a reader. Again, a lack of qualitative planning.

No comments: